Subject: Re: Ozone and the orange shift--more disgusting every day

	I think you (and some others) have completely missed the point of
this thread. It matters not the least how someone has acted in the
past--what matters is what they do in the present, in response to a
problem. It's easy to be the good guy when everything is going right;
it takes extra effort to do it when things are going wrong.

	I don't have the problem printer, but I have been a salesman. Anyone
who has any degree of success in sales knows, or should know, that
regardless of whether a customer's position is justified or not if you
intend to build a reputation you have to take care of the customer,
and his problem, and, especially, get him to shut up, using whatever
means it takes. Bad news travels much faster, and lasts longer,
WHETHER JUSTIFIED OR NOT, than good news, and it _must_ be dealt with,
as quickly as possible, regardless of how valid it is.

	Epson is not doing this, and they are quickly picking up the
reputation (whether justified or not) of stonewalling and failing to
support their users. When I was doing sales the very hardest thing for
me to do was to return a call from a dissatisfied customer, but I did
it _everytime_, knowing that the situation would not go away, and if I
didn't deal with it immediately it would only get worse in the future,
and, wonder of wonders, I'd still have to deal with it. It wouldn't
take much energy for Epson to build a form e-mail response: "Thank you
for the information; we've heard from other users, as well, about this
and are trying to figure out what's going on and will let you know
when we know." This isn't much, and I bet the lawyers could come up
with something that worked for them, too. If they did just that much,
I bet that there'd be a lot less noise on this group, and people would
have developed a different attitude about the situation, and about
Epson's response.

	People howl loudest when they're being ignored, and having a angry,
howling crowd of users is not a function position to put one's
business in. I don't think the real idiots at Epson are in
development, designing faulty products--I think at this point it's
being shown that they're in the public relations department, failing
to respond appropriately to complaints, whether they're justified or
not.

	--Michael Darnton