Re: Scanning & gamut range of Epson 1270 inks

<x-flowed>At 10:01 AM +1000 6/20/00, Brendan Sullivan wrote:
>I'm about to purchase a Polaroid SS 4000 and a new computer.  Already have a
>1270 printer and Photoshop 5.5.
>
>My question is this:  if the ultimate output is printing to the 1270, is
>there any practical benefit in 36 bit over 24 bit?  In other words, while
>the 36 bit scan may produce a wider color range, is that wider range capable
>of being reproduced by the printer?

The 36 bit tonal resolution will not show up on the 1270.

That said, there are advantages to scanning in 36 bit. If you scan in
36 bit on a scanner that has a high dynamic range (a more important
measurement for scanners in my opinion) then you will have encoded
that greater range well. Then you should apply your largest tonal
adjustments (pulling detail out of the shadows etc) when your file is
in 36 bit depth. Chances are you will down-sample the file to 24 bit
for other Photoshop operations and that's OK. Having done your major
stuff in 36 bit you will not have thrashed the data too much.

While 36 bit data will not make a difference in straight-out
printing, scanning in 36 bit, editing your images, down-sampling to
24 bit, filtering, etc will probably help you produce better images.

Regards,

Steve Upton

  Steve Upton
      upton@chromix.com

             CHROMiX / Profile Central

       www.chromix.com   www.profilecentral.com
          p:206-985-6837   f:206.526.8278
      9594 1st Ave NE #390 Seattle, WA 98115

  Color Store...Remote Profiling...Media Management

-
*    WIN a $500 Gift Certificate in our Father's Day Photo Contest!      *
*          http://www.pcphotoreview.com/go.cfm?ref=lebenpr               *
* Shop smart! Read product reviews of photo printers and digital cameras *

</x-flowed>