Re: Alignment (particularly on the 870)

At 08:58 AM 6/17/00 -0400, Robert Krawitz wrote:
>When you do a head alignment:
>
>1) What does the screen prompt you to do?
>
>2) At some point you print a test sheet.  What does the alignment test
>   sheet look like?  In particular, is it only black, or does it also
>   have color?
>
>Remember, I'm not running Windows and hence can't run the Epson
>alignment utility.  I'm trying to reverse engineer the alignment
>process (and making progress!).

Why not find a Windoze machine and run through the
process?  That might be easier than trying to describe
it.  Otherwise, one of us could email you scans of
alignment patterns, etc.

Frankly, there seem to be a lot of folks confused
over exactly what this alignment actually does.
(Myself included, somewhat.)  I suspect a lot of
Epson owners are unaware of this utility and have
never run it.

It presents you with a sixteen vertical lines,
numbered 1-16.  Each vertical line is composed of
two segments, end-to-end.  You're supposed to pick the
one where the two segments most closely form
a single straight line.  Each line is printed
with black ink only.  The lines are about 1" long,
composed of two half-inch segments.

Apparently, the process is iterative, if you're
not sure which line to choose.  2nd iteration
will use your best guess, and then expand the
scale so that the next choice is easier.  'Least
that's how I understand it; I've never bothered to
take it to that 2nd level.

rafe b.

-