[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
  Web www.spinics.net


"Bloom" is not lens flare.

Its a vernacular term to describe the accumulation of density around very 
bright light sources in a photograph (light fixtures or bulbs, bright light 
shining through a window, light bouncing off glass or metal, for example). 
This accumulation of density tends to blossom or bloom, melting away edge 
detail. Its the visual equivalent of water pouring over the edge of a bowl or 

There are black/white developers that help control this (I use PMK pyro with 
good success).

Georgia O'Keeffe did a series of important New York paintings where she 
recreated this effect, having seen it in the photographs of her husband 
Alfred Stieglitz and other photographers in his circle.

Bill Kennedy
* WIN either one of three Digital Cameras or Free Photoquality Prints!   *
*          http://www.pcphotoreview.com/go.cfm?ref=lebenpr               *
* Shop smart! Read product reviews of photo printers and digital cameras *

[Photo]     [Yosemite News]    [Yosemite Photos]    [Scanner]     [Gimp]     [Gimp Users]

Powered by Linux