Re: 1600 firewire

on 2/21/2000 8:15, Richard N. Moyer at dickmoyer@earthlink.net wrote:

> USB 2.0 (at 400 MBS, late 2000) is not expected to compete directly
> with IEEE 1394 "Firewire". USB V1.1 I think - might be higher now -
> is about 12 MBs. Firewire is currently 400 MBS, will go to 800 MBS
> 2001, and >1GHz the year after. USB controllers are cheaper than

Just to be clear, these rates are in megabits, not megabytes, per second.
Use uppercase B to represent bytes and lowercase b to represent bits.

Current USB is about 12Mb/s, or 1.5 MB/s.

Also note that USB and 1394 use radically different arbitration schemes
where 1395 can employ an "isochronous" mode--a bandwidth guarantee--that is
suitable for real-time applications, e.g., DV, for which USB is not
so well suited. Also, the host interfaces (e.g., message passing protocols)
for USB and 1394 are quite different too, though I don't know the details.
One more point, I don't believe switched USB, that is multiple concurrent
streams within one fabric will ever be a feature of USB, where this is
planned for 1394. This will make 1394 more appropriate for high-performance
I/O and complex networks.

Wire Moore

-