Re: Selling Prints for Profit

Jay:
I need to go back to my days of offset printing and photo lab ownership.

If I were going to design a printer that would fit the needs of the
"Professional market" I would do the following:

DPI output would be variable from 360x360 to 1440x1440.
The sheet size would be 22"inches wide by unlimited length.
	Reasoning 20x24" photos are standard in the photo market. 95% of 	my
work was never larger than 20" even in the offset end. Standard 	offset
paper is a combination of 8.5x11, 11x17, 17x22, 22x34, etc.
	These are US sizes metric will be different.

Ink: 4 color would be a very minimum. Seven color would be better.
	Your standard CMYK with Orange and Green. The seventh color would 	be
for a UV overcoat. We always called this a protect coat or 		gloss coat
in the printing industry. Kept the printed piece from 	getting scuffed.

The printer would need a bulk ink system. It could not be held captive
by ink that only was available in certain sized carts. It needs to be a
system that you pour the ink into the top and it prints. When the ink
gets low you pour in more. If you need to change ink you dump the
bottles, put in flushing fluid, flush the system and put in new ink.

Here you would need to get away from the razor blade mentality, give the
razor away free and make your profit on reusable supplies. Make your
money on the printer and not worry what ink is used.

As for price. I like everyone else would like it as low cost as
possible, but being a business person the cost of the machine is really
not that important. If it is going to produce income the cost becomes
irrelevant. It is the cost of operation that is the important factor.
This printer will have to be priced so you make a profit, but yet low
enough that the "Professional consumer" can afford the initial
investment.

My printer wants is not designed for the hobbits. There are more than
enough hobby printers on the market now. One more just is not necessary.

Jim Davis

A rip would be a big help. I find several advantages to a rip. One, you
can arrange different sized images on a sheet. Two, rips tend to allow
your printer to print a lot faster.