Re: hello

In a message dated 02/16/2000 8:18:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
reynolds@panix.com writes:

<< I'm also using Arches 90lb. paper, but with an Epson 750 and the Epson
 inks.  Which inks and paper settings (in the Epson driver) are you
 using?  I've been using the "Photo Quality Glossy Film" with some
 success.  The "Plain Paper" setting was saturating the paper with ink.

 Do you adjust the paper thickness lever while printing with the
 90lb. paper? >>

Hi, Brian--

So far, I've only used the Epson inks in my 1520.  (Recently bought another
1520 -cheap! - to experiment with other inksets, but haven't had a chance to
get into that yet.)  When printing with the Arches 90-lb. cold press paper, I
use the "Epson Photo Quality Paper" setting.  The Arches is used for prints
from watercolor originals, and I find this setting doesn't over-saturate the
paper, but allows for enough ink to be laid down to render a "painterly"
effect.  And yes, I have the paper thickness lever set to "+" for thicker
paper.  Using the manual feed slot in back, I've rarely had problems with any
papers going through the Epson 1520... it balked with a very stiff,
texturized 300 lb. paper I was playing around with once.

I got into all of this "from scratch," and more-or-less by the seat of my
pants.  I don't use color management profiles, having realized that it's
easier for me - and a lot less frustrating - to make adjustments in my
software specific to each image.  Most of the time I use the ICM setting on
the Epson driver.  In the beginning, I spent countless hours learning the
hard way, but it has paid off.  I've gotten much better at looking at a "raw"
scan on the screen and knowing which adjustments it'll need right off the
bat.  So, I'm getting to the finished print now with a lot less wasted paper
and ink.  What took me weeks to accomplish a couple of years ago takes a
couple of days now.  But, this is me... everyone has their own way of doing
things, and what's so beneficial about a list like this is that we can all
continue to learn even more!

Best regards,

Deborah Campbell
http://www.scratchpadstudio.com

The plain paper setting does lay down too much ink, as you indicated.  For my
photographic work, I have been using a lot of the new Epson heavyweight Matte
paper lately, and I like it quite a lot.
-