Re: my 800's old prints

>Lately I've been thinking of getting rid of my 800 and going for a 750 or
>760 or 860 or 900 etc. The main reason being the my 800 prints don't look
>very good, and i was really impressed with the samples I saw in the
>store.  Well guess what, I came across a 3-ring binder where I'd put a
>dozen or so prints that I did when my printer was only about 6 months
>old.  All the prints are inside clear sheet protectors, and they were all
>beautiful!! They blow away anything I have printed in recent history.  I
>can't believe I printed those with my 800! But of course i did, the only
>thing I had before the 800 was a Canon BJ 610 and it wasn't this good by a
>long shot.

I had exactly the same experience with my 800.  I had been noticeing a
slight degradation in the nozzle check, but I had forgotten what the chick
looked like when the printer was new. I convinced myself that everything
was working fine, but I  noticed a subtle degradation in the quality of my
prints. Like you, I had convinced myself to buy a 900 (I like the 4-color,
with the small dots), then my printer got a terrible clog. In the process
of clearing the clog, I managed to get all the nozzles completely, truly
clean. Like you, I was amazed at how good the prints looked.

I have since printed out a nozzle check and stored it in  a safe place to
use as a reference for the future. I think the issues you face here, which
are probably caused by a slow accumulation of debris in or on the
nozzles--will be present no matter which printer you end up with.  I also
had to redo the printhead alignment.

So check those two things. You may find that they improve your prints,
although, at its best, the 800 is still no match for the newer printers.

Michael Tackie

Michael Tackie
(mntackie@ghplus.infi.net)

-