Re: Expected Life of Epson Ink + Archival Paper??

--- David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@dd-b.net> wrote:
> Michael Greer <mgreer942@yahoo.com> writes on 25 January 2000 at 17:51:52
> -0800
>

> Not ineffective; actually harmful, over longer exposures.  This was
> Wilhelm's report from controlled tests, and this is Ctein's report
> anecdotally (old portfolio prints sprayed to "protect" them, other
> prints from the same negative and batch of paper not sprayed, compared
> about a decade later, and the sprayed ones were badly damaged, the
> unsprayed ones were okay; in fact, the only places the sprayed ones
> *weren't* damaged was where fingerprints had removed the coating!).
>
> I think the length of time may be the key.  You're saying that coating
> clearly works in actual experience over a couple of years.  Fine, I
> won't argue with experimental evidence (though one can argue with the
> experiment design sometimes).  I'd be very likely to coat prints made
> using Epson OEM materials that I needed to last 2 or so years and
> didn't need to last much longer, based on your and other reports.
>
> BUT, I think you're generalizing too much, and I think you're
> forgetting the different time scales people are interested in.  A
> coating that extends 6-month Epson materials to 2 years may very well
> *damage* 30-year materials after only 7 years.  I think the evidence
> for this happening is strong enough that I won't coat prints I intend
> for long life.

Of course there is no way I can refute what you write. You may very well be
right. But in siting some of your examples, you don't acknowledge that products
improve over time . So coatings that damaged prints years/decades ago, *might*
not do the same today. Having said that, your position on this issue is logical
and sensible.

=====
Visit my digital photography web site along with a lot of other interesting stuff at http://greer.simplenet.com. Also, Greer and Associates (http://www.greeraa.com) offers studio photography, digital imaging services, web site design/construction, and training.

Mike Greer