Re: ColorTron

I realize you were adding info, not necessarily advocating for the ColorTron,
but heres a response to your response:

In a message dated 1/24/00 7:00:34 PM, hsimpkns@admin2.memphis.edu wrote:

>To add to this regarding the ColorTron II. As a monitor optimizer, in
>addition to being slow, the weight of the instrument is too great for the
>suction cups to hold it on the monitor with any security; you wind up
>holding the ColorTron or rigging some sort of support to avoid the risk
>of
>it falling off.

Actually, all that is necessary is to place the ColorTron on the screen
vertically, not horizontally; any structural engineer would see that
immediately, it must have been non-structural engineers that designed it the
other way <G>.

>As a swatch reader: Accuracy: I bought a Q-60 reflective target with a
>custom data file, that is, the data file was generated from the individual
>target using a high accuracy spectrophotometer and I'm getting ColorTron
>values within 3 deltaE of the data file values (2.6 or less) although I
>have
>not had the time or energy to read the entire target.

I can generally get reading less than 3 delta-e with my ColorTron as well,
but the devices are not consistant, some are far worse than this... and 3
delta-e is not really close enough for good profiling...

> Time: For profiling it
>takes 2-2.5 hours to read each of the 270 patches of an RGB profile target
>once.

And with a DTP-41 it takes under 15 minutes to accurately read a thousand.
Unless your time is free,  or you are a hobbiest, it makes sense to get the
strip reader in the long run. 270 patches is rather a compromise on quality,
3 delta-e is rather a compromise on accuracy, and two and a half hours of
carpel tunnel inducing work is rather a lot of time... but yes, it can be
done; I did it many times myself.

C. David Tobie
Design Cooperative
CDTobie@designcoop.com