Re: Stylus Pro 9000 ( was RIPs (was: ...ejects too soon))

----- Original Message -----
From: Omar <omar@natasha.org>
> UDMA drives also take the load off the CPU, it does stand for ultra Direct
> Memory Access after all.
>
> I bought into the SCSI-2 hype and wasted my money on an expensive scsi
> drive, and my system wasn't any faster...I've since switched to a 7200 rpm
> UDMA-66 drive, on an Iwill VD133 motherboard which supports UDMA 66 and it
> is faster than anything I've used before!  And its all much less than a
> SCSI system.

SCSI got its reputation for being fast when IDE drives transferred at 16
MB/s or less.  When UDMA33 came out, most IDE drives were faster than the
SCSI...for a while.  Of course, SCSI equipment makers fought back, but now
UDMA-66 is out, and they are very fast and don't bog down the CPU.

I don't know how they currently compare using real-life transfer rates,
mostly because the top end SCSI equipment has always been expensive...where
I just bought a spare 8.6 GB DMA-66 hard drive for $80.  That would about
cover shipping and tax for a 10000 RPM SCSI drive.

Gary

-