Re: Refilling question: volumes/weights for the 700

At 09:45 PM 1/22/00 -0700, Gary Hunt wrote:
>At 11:39 AM 1/22/2000 -0500, Charlie wrote:
>>
>>.........  If 12 cc is the
>>limit,  and I can get 10 with no trouble and little dripping, that's good
>>enough for me, as then I feel comfortable waiting for the "empty cart"
>>warning to appear before pulling the cart and replacing it.
>>
>>I am also interested in the  cc volumes of each color held by the color cart
>>(I have a new replacement, so I don't need the weight per se.)
>
>I can't answer your question with numbers, but evidently there is little
>or no chance you are going to be able to get as much ink in a cartridge
>by refilling as the factory cartridges contain.  So the warning indication
>is either going to have a lot less margin or none at all.  (I seem to
>remember reading on one of the ink suppliers Web sites some value
>like 2/3 on the indication before the cartridge should be refilled again.)
>The good news, I guess, is that whatever ink is still in there is not going
>to be "wasted" when you are refilling.

There are a couple of different ways to
measure these volumes.

The WeInk "UltraFill" method actaully gives
you a preview of the fill volume, and seems
to be accurate to 1-2 cc.  By that measure,
I got about 13 cc for the color chambers on
a 1520/1160 cart, and about 23 cc for the
black cart (1520/1160) on the initial fill
of a new set of cartridges.

The other method is with a disassembled cart,
with the sponge removed.  In this case, I
measured about 15 cc for the color chambers.
(I haven't done this for the black cart.)
It looks like the sponge itself displaces
2-3 cc.

Refill volumes are substantially lower --
around 60-70% of the maximum or theoretical
volume.  This simply proves (??) that 30-40%
of the ink is stuck forever in the sponge,
and will never make it to the print head.

rafe b.

-