Re: epson 5000

In a message dated 1/22/00 1:27:19 PM, n9vjg19@idt.net writes:

>Does anyone here own the Epson Stylus Pro 5000?
>
>How similar is it to the 3000 and the 9000?

Its smaller format then either, more reminicent of the old ProXL, but has teh
6 color heads the same size dots as the 9000.

>If so, what do you think about it?

Excellent output, great for proofing, no real reason to buy it instead of say
the 1200 for photos, unless the larger ink tanks and advanced RIPs matter
more than the image quality, which is a notch below the 1200...

>What options did you buy with it?

A couple clients bought the Fiery RIP with it, but it is inflexible and not
ICC profile based... most use it with third party RIPs, one PressReady
supports it, that will be the prefered choice for a low cost RIP.

>What kind of printer paper can you use with it?

Not quite as flexible as the 3000 for various stocks, usually used with
proofing paper.

>Moreover, would one of you 5000 owners be willing to send me a test print
>if I mail an SASE to you?

The output looks smoother than 3000 output, identical to 9000 output, and a
hair coarser than 1200 output... nothing unique about it.

>Thanks!

C. David Tobie
Design Cooperative
CDTobie@designcoop.com