Re: blues

 >> My guess is that you're running into gamut
>> limitations.  There are certain colors that
>> are difficult, if not impossible to print
>> with CMYK inks.
>>
>> Purples, especially rich, saturated purples,
>> are almost impossible.
>
>Some of these colours are difficult with most photographic materials, not
>just inkjet prints. Some flowers and butterflies are notoriously
>difficult to reproduce accurately. A typical example in this country (UK)
>is the bluebell (Hyacinthoides).
>
>Mark Thornton

I had a similar problem with a wonderful Colorado shot of skyblue
columbines that, to my eye at the scene, exactly matched the background
deep cyan mountain sky and contrasted beautifully with neutral gray granite
cliffs.  The sky came through (monitor and print) very close to the color I
remembered, the columbines a pale yucky violet.  The scene was beautiful,
the photo horrid.  Someone posted the name of a film (either Agfa or Fuji)
that has two cyan layers and is supposed to solve this problem when I
mentioned it on the list but I lost the name.  Need to find it since
restoring  the cyan color to a bunch of tiny spots in a scan is an
unwelcome exercise in Photoshop's selective color feature (though it does
work).  And an over-all correction changes more than just the flowers and
cyan granite cliffs don't turn me on all that much.

Dan Culbertson

-