Re: Gray's (Ink Cart) Anatomy

>Dan, I do not understand. I removed the sponge completely from an epson oem
>cartridge and squirted ink in. The moment I removed the tape from the
>bottom, all the ink run happily through the bottom holes (I was prudent
>enough to do this in a sink).

I didn't remove the tape from the bottom exit ports -- I just let the
printer pierce the tape as the cartridge was installed.  However, when I
remove the patially empty cartridge to fill it again I need to be quick and
retape the bottom pronto (or have a paper towel ready if I'm aren't trying
to conserve the remaining ink).  It will drip through the ports -- but not
so fast that you can't retape it or get it away from the printer in time to
prevent problems.  But maybe the different cartridges have differnt types
of filters and the ones I've been using don't let the ink through as fast
(??).  Or maybe I've just been darned lucky. But I haven't had any problem.

One of the open topped cartridges was in my Stylus Photo half full of ink
for a couple of months (I was using other printers) and it never leaked out
into the printer.  The tape over the ports seems to hold it in fine on the
way to the printer and the seals in the cartridge did the rest I guess.
The open topped cart on the Stylus 900 worked similarly, but since it is a
new printer I'm not leaving them in place for a long time just in case (I
just use these to try out special ink blends so, except for the forgotten
Stylus Photo cart, they usually only stay in place for a day or two).

As for the cartridges with the holes drilled into the tops -- I don't
bother taping the holes shut either.  The tape over the ports does fine and
the extra large holes in top are just more effective vents than those tiny
vent holes made for that purpose.

Dan Culbertson

-