Hey it does work (Well, sort of...)

At 07:51 PM 1/15/00 +0200, Sergios wrote:

>When you see people like Rafe who have no desire to mess with these
>procedures, to refill and play with archival inks, this is a clear message
>to Epson: Epson get your acts straight and make a decent ink capable to
>last more than 6 months.

And on that note...

Yesterday's elation has given way to sobering
reality.  After maybe eight or ten 8x10" prints
with the Archiva yesterday, my first print this
morning had serious banding.

Ran a nozzle check and sure enough, there are
a bunch of lines missing.  Sigh...

So I figured... OK, maybe all those cleaning
cycles took their toll.  This cartridge must
be spent.  Time to refill.

I gotta say, this is **way** too much work,
particularly the dilution business with
Archiva.  Somewhere in the middle of it all
I got to where I couldn't pull vacuum any-
more; the little rubber septum was shot.
Jeez!!!!  This is only the 4th cart being
filled!!!!  Way too early for a brand-new
refill kit to be wearing out (can you say,
"planned obsolescence?")

On top of all that, the refill volumes
this 2nd time around were nowhere near as
impressive as the first.  Knowing what the
chamber volumes are now, I can say that
I never hit more than 50-60% of that
volume with actual ink.

This of course confirms what I've
suspected all along.  The chamber may
hold 15 cc, but the printer cant get to
more than 10 cc of that.  The last 5 cc
are locked in the sponge, and ain't
goin' nowhere.

Bah humbug.  Mike Greer is right.  My time
is worth more than this.  Especially when
you consider the "wait overnight" part.
Clean nozzle-check first time?  Not a chance.

So what's the word on "continuous-ink" refilling?
Anyone had any luck with the "Cobra" system???

rafe b.

-
**   Tips on Refilling, Refill Kits, Archival Ink, Cartridges, Paper **
**   Order On-Line  http://www.missupply.com  Save $$$$     **
**   MIS ASSOCIATES, INC   800-445-8296   Kits Ship Free!   **