Re: Refill Woes. Sob. Sniff. Hey it does work if you are willing tolearn

Gerald Olson wrote:

> Ok, I'll try refilling ONE more time...What went wrong...
>
> ...Filled my syringe with beta black Generations inks.  Got out a virgin
> Media street cartridge. Removed the vacuum seal first, so the vent hole
> was exposed. I placed the needle to the bottom front of the cartridge
> like instructed, and then SLOWLY filled the cartridge through the fill
> hole. Waited until a tiny bit of ink came up through the fill hole, AND
> the vent hole. Wiped off the excess and placed the little rubber plug in the fill hole.
> Placed the label over the top, leaving the vent hole still exposed to air.
>
> Placed cartridge in printer.  Experienced huge white areas and black
> streaks that looked like you had dragged a small rake over the print.
>
> What did I do wrong?
>
> What should I have done different?

Ah, I think that we may be making progress here. I see nothing in what
you have written above that any steps were taken to remove air pockets
in the cartridge's ink outlet port, and various chambers behind the ink
outlet port. If you refill the way you do, you need to let the excess
ink drip (onto some waste paper towels) out from the ink outlet hole.
Once the excess is drained, insert the cartridge, and a few cleaning
cycles should be able to prime the print head. Note that with this
method, you can't seal the outlet port with a "replacement plug". You
can temporarily seal the outlet port with tape, but pull off the tape to
drain the and air and excess ink out. You should not removed the
punctured plastic seal, nor the black o-ring (see my other post), with
an x-acto knife, from the outlet port if you refill the sponge with the
syringe.

Sergei and Tomcat use different methods to fill their sponges than your
method, but both rely on purging air out from the ink outlet port and
chambers by letting the excess ink drain out. Their methods for loading
ink into the sponge also tends to purge most of the entrapped air from
the sponge. Your method of filling will leave more entrapped air within
your sponge as compared to those two gurus. But most of your problem
seems to be with air entrapped within the ink outlet port. Once the
air-in-the-outlet problem is solved by draining, then you can refine
your refill method to address the air-in-the-sponge problem, if you wish
to do so.

You also have a problem with overfilling the cartridge with ink, which
floods your print head. This results in splotches on your paper.
Draining should take care of that.

The vacuum method that I use to refill fixes the "air in the outlet
port" and the "air in the sponge" problems with a single step. Once a
high vacuum is achieved, nearly all air within the sponge and within the
ink outlet chamber is replaced with ink. I do extract the plastic seal
and original black o-ring with an e-xacto knife, and use a modified
replacement outlet plug. I do not drain excess ink through the exit port
(since it is strongly sealed and its air is purged during my vacuum
proceedure), I remove any excess ink from the top. The drainage method
for purging the outlet port sounds too messy for my tastes.

-- Ben Haskell