Re: The 1520 Does It Again

--- Pam Niedermayer <pam_pine@cape.com> wrote:
> Michael, how do you handle these partial scans vis a vis the
> source being at different distances from the glass? If you
> place a 20X24 watercolor on an 8.5X11 bed, at least two
> sides of the water color will not touch the glass, unless,
> of course, you crease the paper, which probably isn't advisable.

The larger than scan bed prints I've scanned have been mounted on foam core or
art board. So it's been easy to simply scan a section, then move it and scan
another section. If I got an oversized that wasn't mounted, I'd temporarily
mount it with tape and scan it.

> Pam
>
> Michael Greer wrote:
> >
> > --- "Sam A. McCandless" <samcc@compuserve.com> wrote:
> > > Deborah -
> > >
> > > I liked your web page too and appreciate your sharing this how-to
> > > information. Do you also print any complementary stationery or
> > > handouts or mailers - postcards, brochures, business cards, etc.?
> > >
> > > I'm also curious to know how you're scanning the watercolors or
> > > getting them scanned. I'd like to do that myself but have the
> > > impression that it's practical only up to about 12 x 18 - that larger
> > > art would first have to be photographed or taken to someone with a
> > > larger-than-desktop scanner.
> > >

> > Not necessarily. If you have good command of your image editing program,
> you
> > should be able to stitch multiple smaller scanned images into one large
> image.
> > I've done this with 11x14 inch prich on my 8.5x11 inch scan bed. You must
> make
> > sure the artwork/print is not angled on the scan bed. Else, you'll have to
> > perform rotations in software to line the sections up. Also, make sure to
> > capture enough overlapping area in the scans so that you'll have enough
> data to
> > do a good job of piecing the sections together.
> >
> > Of course, owning a tabloid size scanner is faster, easier, and less time
> > consuming. But results indistinguishable from scans on larger scan beds can
> be
> > obtained by stitching sections from a smaller scanner. I guess it depends
> on
> > how much larger than letter sized scans will be done. If a lot, then one
> would
> > have to look at the Epson 836XL, UMAX Mirage II, Microtek 6400XL, Agfa
> T2000XL
> > or similar.
> >

> --
> Pamela G. Niedermayer
> Pinehill Softworks Inc.
> 1221 S. Congress Ave., #1225
> Austin, TX 78704
> 512-416-1141
> 512-416-1440 fax
> http://www.pinehill.com
> -

=====
Visit my digital photography web site along with a lot of other interesting stuff at http://greer.simplenet.com. Also, Greer and Associates (http://www.greeraa.com) offers studio photography, digital imaging services, web site design/construction, and training.

Mike Greer