Re: Ott-Lite and Kodak CVLS card (was Re: color correctenvironment)

>Phil Rose wrote:
>>
>> I have also expropriated my wife's recently acquired Ott-Lite (she bought
>> it for viewing her knitting yarns). It is the same "Tru-color" light
>> Michael refers to. Today I had occasion to examine its output using the
>> Kodak "Color Viewing Light Selector" (CVLS) card. This is a handy little
>> paper gizmo incorporating a magenta-hued patch that is uniformly colored
>> under daylight viewing, butwill display a striped pattern if the
>> lightsource varies significantly from a properly balanced 5000K. The
>> Ott-Lite did show considerable striping, leaving me to wonder how far off
>> it might be from being suitable for my inkjet print viewing. Kodak's
>> instructions say that if you see stripes, your light source _may_ not be
>> suitable for viewing prints.
>
>Our independent replies to Michael's post cover similar concerns, but
>with different angles.
>
>One "local" Home Depot store has demos set up for different fluorescent
>bulbs (while another "local" Home Depot does not). If you are lucky to
>have a nearby store with lots of demo lights, well.... you are "The Man"
>with the card, if you get my drift.  ;-)
>
>-- Ben Haskell

Would you believe that I read this message only minutes _after_ returning
from a trip to Home Depot (without my Kodak card, of course)! Good idea. I
probably will do these experiments with the test card placed in a small
cardboard box to help minimize the effect of ambient lighting.

Phil Rose
Rochester, NY
mailto:pjrose@frontiernet.net

-