Has Epson glossy paper gone on a diet?

I just bought some Epson glossy photo paper from buy.com, and when I opened
the package, I did a double-take as soon as I pulled out the first sheet.

I had been making some digital photo prints on an older set of Epson glossy
paper, which was nice and heavy and thick. The new paper is definitely MUCH
ligher and thinner; even thin enough to be a bit translucent, if you
hold it up to a weak-to-medium light source.

In fact, there's so much of a difference that I went back and looked at my
older paper, just to make sure that I hadn't been printing on someone else's
by mistake. Sure enough, you can see the "Epson Photo Paper" imprint on the
back side. But on the "new" Epson paper, there's nothing imprinted on the back.

Has anyone else noticed this? (I'm sure someone -must- have). I'm not
hallucinating, am I? Epson wouldn't just arbitrarily "improve" their glossy
paper by taking a heavy, opaque, paper that feels like a real photograph,
and turning it into something that feels so much thinner...

Would they?

David Miller
Horses
-