Permanence of Epson prints vs photo prints

Since I appear to have trouble posting to this group, I am sending this
message two different ways, this one by email. Unfortunately, my last
email took several weeks to show up on the list.

I seem to have generated a small amount of controvery over a test I ran
which compared the following:
- An Epson 3000 print using OEM inks on Epson Glosy paper (the thin stuff)
- A commercial photo print
- A magazine clipping

I found that after two months in a west-facing window which receives
direct sunlight for half the day (when the sun is out, that is) the Epson
print had begun to fade in the usual way, that is, slight fading of the
magenta ink. I also found, however, that the magazine reproduction had
faded more, especially the yellow, and surprisingly, the commercial print
had faded more noticeably as well, again primarily the yellow.

This was, by no means, a scientific test, simply something I did to
satisfy my own curiosity. Obviously, "direct sun for part of the day"
cannot be quantified. My feeling is that NONE of these prints could be
considered "archival" since all are primarily dye-based. Nor would I
guess from this little test how any of these might survive under "normal"
display conditions, since even oil and watercolour paintings ought to be
kept away from direct sunlight.

I'm not even certain whether blasting a print with 50,000 lux of
ultraviolet for a short period of time is any way to judge how it might
last under gentler day-to-day conditions over a long period of time.

I hope this clears up any misconceptions about my little experiment.

John Lasruk
Toronto Canada
-