Purge/clean alert

I'm posting this with a new subject heading, but for background, you can
check out the "Help: Initialize!" thread.

A couple of us have had our 3000 printers go belly-up during the process of
using cleaning cartridges and purging old inks/installing new inks. It seems
possible that all that ink (and cleaning solution) being laid down on the ink
pads may cause them to overfill, triggering a printer shutdown. And requiring
a visit to Epson Repair in Indianapolis....

Does anybody know more about this? Has anyone else had this experience? Is
there a way to guard against it in the future? (Does letting the pads dry out
overnight help?) Any information might be very useful to the ink-changers on
this list.
TIA,         --David Stock