Re: Printing Economically

For what it's worth, since we seem to be collecting anecdotal evidence, I
made some posters for an exhibit at the University Library last summer, as
well as some prints that were displayed inside glass exhibit cases. The
posters were printed in June with Epson OEM inks on Epson Glossy Photo
paper, while the prints in the cases were printed on Archival Poster and
Rives Heavyweight, both standard archival printmaking papers.

The exhibit was up into November and at that time the copy of the poster
displayed at the library entrance was very badly faded--kind of a
washed-out gray. Another copy of the poster that was displayed inside one
of the glass cases was also faded, but not nearly as badly. The prints on
archival papers inside the display cases showed no fading as far as I was
able to tell. The exhibit area was lit with fluorescent lighting from 8am
to 10 or 11 pm every day; I've been told that the light fixtures over this
area have some kind of uv filtering material. There were a few remaining
copies of the posters that had been kept in dark storage in a portfolio,
and these showed a small, but detectable, amount of fading. One of the
librarians had a copy of the poster outside his office that was as badly
faded as the one at the library entrance. I recently made him a copy using
Lysonic E inks on the same Epson Photo Glossy paper, which he will leave up
as a sort of test.

One of my art prints, Epson OEM inks on Archival Poster, archivally matted
and framed behind glass has been in another part of the building under
similar lighting conditions (although these fluorescents are not supposed
to have the uv-filtering material in the fixtures) for an even longer
period of time. This print shows no visible signs of fading.

Experiences such as these have led me to suspect that the paper is a very
significant factor in print fading, perhaps even more than the inks. I have
yet to see any fading of prints I made with Epson OEM inks on archival
papers. The only prints I have had fade were on Epson papers.

Richard Wohlfeiler

>Jer,
>
>I agree the first papers (the 360 dpi and 720 dpi clay coated papers) were
>very
>suspect. They yellow just by looking at them! But I have prints on these
>papers
>that were laminated and dark stored that look just as good as when they were
>initially printed. Now this was Epson introduced their heavier weight photo
>papers. I haven't had any problems with their photo paper as long as the
>prints
>see no sunlight. They have been exposed to ambient office lighting for 2 years
>and running with no problems thus far.
>
>--- Gerald Olson <jerry_olson@und.nodak.edu> wrote:
>> Mike,
>>
>> Epson prints I made when I first started printing with Epson printers, about
>> 5 years ago, and stored in the dark, are Quite faded. They were on Epson 720
>> DPI paper. In fact, some of them have never seen light since the day they
>> were made, most of them being just
>> test prints. Just found them the other day by accident. They look pretty
>>bad.
>> But I'm quite sure epson has improved their inks and papers since then, as I
>> have a few hanging in average to low level lighting, for at least 18 months,
>> that haven't shown any sign of
>> fading. They are behind glass, though. I don't think the first epson papers
>> were very good, and I know they are better now. I assume they have also
>> improved their inks, but don't know that for a fact.
>>
>> Jer

[Photo]     [Yosemite News]    [Yosemite Photos]    [Scanner]     [Gimp]     [Gimp Users]