From: Laurie [mailto:laurie@advancenet.net]
Sent: 29 November 1999 16:15
To: epson-inkjet@leben.com
Subject: Re: Mamiya 120mm Macro for portraits

I do not use the cameras you mention and am unfamiliar with the lens in
question.  Are they actually flat field macro lens?  Most non-macro lenses
have a curvature that is built in to account for the fact that reality is
not a flat field so as to maintain clear in focus images around the edges.
I do know of a few older Kodak large format lenses that are called "flat
field" but are not macro lenses as such.  By "flat field" lenses, I
understand it to typically be referring to copy and enlarger lenses: other
than true macro lenses, I do not associate the term with regular camera
lenses or even with the zoom/semi-macro lens combinations on the market
these days which are only to a limited degree macro lenses with flat fields.

If the 80mm and 135 mm lenses you mention are truly flat field macro lenses,
I question if the camera makers you mention intended them by design to be
used for portraiture or scenic photography as opposed to close-up macro
photography, scientific or forensic photography, or medical photography.  I
fully realize having said this that many photographers use lenses for
purposes other than their intended ones so it is possible that photographers
out there may be using flat field macro lenses to do portraiture.