Re: New Epson 3000, Pressready, Low saturation questions

PressReady is faster than Birmy PowerRIP but it is slower than the standard
driver.  I have a Mac G3 processor upgrade and it runs pretty gfast,
infinitely better than when installed on my old PowerBook so I suspect
processor speed is a BIG issue.

As for the 360 x 360 trick (I'm not sure if this is kosher) you might try
setting the Adobe Print Color control panel to Unspecified for CMYK then
select one or the other of the ICC profiles (that PressReady provides) in
the Photoshop 5 CMYK setup under ICC.  Then you can increase saturation
(total ink in this case) to your hearts content by using an adjustment
curve. The screen image will not look like the printed image if you select
the wrong profile but I think it will defeat the ink limits (not sure what
the names stand for other than they are related to the media selctions in
PressReady). Might make an unholy mess -- try it on absorbent paper first,
not glossy.   Unspecified in Adobe PrintColor always makes a CMYK file
print with unconstrained ink loads so you will have to constrain them
manually with a profile. You can make a CMYK profile for the 360 printing
choice then select that profile in Photoshop CMYK setup, convert to CMYK in
PS5 Mode change and you will get a very accurate screen rendition PLUS the
ability to occasionally dump in more ink.  But you will need to be able to
make CMYK profiles to do that.

Dan Culbertson

-