What does giclee mean? -- wasRe[2]: Epson "Archival" inks

Tony Sleep wrote:
> Right. Now I can spell it, what does it mean? I can't find it in Clerc at
> all <g>

Giclee (I'm too lazy to put in the accent) is a French noun (Fem)
meaning a squirt, a dribble, or a spurt, usually of liquid. You would
apply a giclee of deodorant in the morning or put a giclee of Armagnac
on your gateau, or use it in the punchline of an off-color joke.

Gicler is the verb.

I have seen some explanations where "giclee" is defined as "to spray,"
but the correct French word for this is "vaporiser."

How giclee came to describe inkjet prints is similar to how silkscreen
prints became known as "serigraphs."

Advice: If you're selling prints in France, don't use "giclee." You'll
get some amused stares and other unexpected reactions.

Most French expressions come from France. "Giclee" is sort of what
happens if you try to make Epoisses in Wisconsin.

Unfortunately, "giclee" is acquiring a second meaning: a reproduction
of an original artwork. This is because many artists are selling
reproductions of watercolors and other works and describing them as
"giclee prints of my artwork."

Tony Karp, TLC Systems Corp    tkarp@tlc-systems.com

Visit our web sites:
 Techno-Impressionist Museum:  http://www.techno-impressionist.com