Re: KISS. (Was Rafe vs. the ICC)

On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Robert Snow wrote:

> [...]

I'm grappling with that issue at the moment,
trying to decide how to go...  Kinda looking
for recommendations on a simple, reliable
scanner in the $150 range, or thereabouts.
Probably SCSI...  I'm not sure the motherboard
on my machine supports USB, never tried it.

> The mode of connection would make no difference, but I would
> stay away from the parallel type.  They seem to be more
> prone to problems and slower!  If you already have a scsi
> board, my personal choice would be scsi.
>
> If you ever shoot medium format, the new Epson 1200dpi at
> 3-400 bucks might be a good compromise.  If you want a
> better scanner in the mid-range, you couldn't go too far
> wrong with the Linocolor Saphir Ultra II @ 1200 dpi optical
> and excellent software at about $1100.
>
> One thing, if you buy one of the low end scanners, be sure
> that it will scan without any corrections.  Some
> automatically correct and it cannot be turned off.  I forget
> which ones.  This will screw up your profile creation
> though.

So not all scanners are created equal, then ;-)
With my luck, I'd end up with one of these
incompatible scanners.

> One last suggestion:  Call them and ask what they use.
> (wiziwyg-Praxisoft)

I asked this question of Praxisoft by filling out the
form on their web site.  Predictably, there has been
no response.  I haven't tried just calling them.  Too
simple and obvious, I guess.

rafe b.

-
* 50% OFF!! DayGlo Fluorescent Ink Jet Ink gets your message across. *
* Be Heard! Tell us you are an Epson-inkjet subscriber to claim your *
* discount. http://www.dayglo.com (One 50% purchase per subscriber.) *