Rafe versus the International Color Consortium

In a message dated 11/20/99 4:42:29 PM, rafeb@channel1.com writes:

>C.D., I wish to respectfully disagree with at
>least part of the above.
>
>When I see a patch of (100,100,100) in an image,
>using Photoshop 4, I expect it to display and
>print as gray.  I accept (and expect) that as
>an "absolute."  In fact, the case where R=G=B
>is one of the few "absolutes" I get to use to
>advantage.

Well your assumptions bridge quite a span, starting with the assumption that
100,100,100 is a neutral gray. Depends on your monitor doesn't it... Second
you are assuming that your "raw" RGB numbers are going to be translated to
device CMY in an even manner. Finally you are assuming that the printing of
equal amounts of CMY on paper will produce a dead neutral result. Oddly the
formuli generally accepted for producing a CMY gray are not actually that
simple.I'm afraid that any and all of these points could be argued, and
prefer a far more exacting solution: work in a carefully devised RGB
workingspace, where R=G=B is a carefully engineered fact (not a monitor space
where it may or may not be close to the truth), and this neutrality can be
displayed visually through a carefully constructed monitor profile (made by
actually measuring the output of your monitor with a colorimeter, and
balancing it) then measuring your printed results to similarly adjust the CMY
balance with a printer profile. But you and I have agreed to disagree on this
issue before, I'm just describing the theoretical underpinnings of that
disagreeement. I won't argue with your results, only the convenience and
control of your method.

C. David Tobie
Design Cooperative
CDTobie@designcoop.com