Re: Update on CD thread

Semi-on topic, since we are, after all, talking about graphics files both
archived and shared with other users, service bureaus, et. al.:

You are referring, Bill, to CD-R Access Pro, which is,for Macs, similar to
DirectCD for Win. This, at least for the write and read parts, allows the
host computer to think of a CD-R or -RW as just another slow SCSI device.
There are two possible problems: 1) you still can't do a read-modify-write
in the same way you can on a hard disc, floppy or Jaz cartridge; 2) there is
a real concern about compatibility with other machines. First, you cannot
expect any other user to read your disk before finalization (writing the
table of contents, which precludes writing anything additional), and,
second, Access Pro uses some complicated compression techniques to double
the apparent capacity of the CD. Fine, since the compression is
non-lossy--except that you need the program installed to de-compress the
files. So, you can't really use this (or Direct CD) as an application for
writing transportable data.

Al

-