Re: Printing from LAB color space

Okay, that's fair--I would certainly like Photoshop to be my "standard",
since I can't do meaningful image manipulation in the Acrobat reader
or any of the other programs that simply "print" to the Epson driver with
no options except what the driver provides.  I guess what I really meant
was, is there a set of settings in Photoshop (Version 5.5) that will
reduce it to the simple-minded printing approach used by these other
Windows programs?  I don't want to make that my standard, I just
want to be able to reproduce it as a "baseline" point.  (i.e. "this is what
Windows printing to the EX looks like without Photoshop color
management", or something to that effect.)

If a color bar is 0R, 0G, 255B in my RGB working space and it prints
purple, whereas it prints blue in the original PDF file from Acrobat,
it would seem that either (1) something changed in the process of
rasterizing the PDF file in Photoshop [which the color values seem
to deny], or (2) PhotoShop is doing something "different" in the
process of printing it--which I can't figure out how to turn off.

With respect to your specific suggestions/questions, I'm using Adobe
RGB as my working space, and my monitor is calibrated only using
Adobe Gamma (but I'm really relying on the color values rather than
the monitor in this case.)  The file in question was rasterized using
the RGB option in the PS conversion dialogue, and the color bars
all indicate as "pure" in the Info window, at least for red, green & blue.
Since I converted the file in PS, it presumably did not have an embedded
profile, but even if it had, 255B is still blue.  I realize it's probably an
accident that Acrobat Reader printed the color bars correctly, but it's
a reproducible accident, and I'd like to reproduce it in Photoshop if
possible.

Sorry for the length of this note--it's hard to get a meaningful answer
to a question if the question isn't clear.  Any suggestions appreciated.

Gary Hunt <glh@srv.net>

-