From: owner-epson-inkjet@leben.com
[mailto:owner-epson-inkjet@leben.com]On Behalf Of Michael Greer
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 1999 5:08 AM
To: epson-inkjet@leben.com
Subject: Need Baseline For Archival papers & inks

Having some experience in predictive analysis, I think we need a baseline
for
comparison on these archival issues. When Henry Wilhelm quotes years, people
take this data as absolute. That is, if Henry says a particular paper/ink
combination will last 7-9 years, many people assume their prints will be
trash
in 10 years with absolutely no thought given to application (i.e. direct
sunlight exposure, surface unprotected, etc.). How many people actually know
what his criteria is for fading? I'd assume not many. Anyway, giving
absolute
results (i.e. this combination will last for 8 years) is difficult business.
You don't see this level of attention or concern given to "real"
photographic
prints because people have some level of expectation from them. That is,
it's a
known quantity, at least in the minds of people.

In conducting many predictive analysis, we many times came to the conclusion
that "directional" results are more stable than absolute results. Meaning we
are testing 2 configurations, which one is better for engine cooling under
60
MPH, 95 degreee, 50% humidity conditions? Note, the analysis will deliver
which
one performs better (a directional result which points us in the direction
of a
satisfactory design). Not configuration A will have a radiator exhaust
temperature of 182 degrees (this would be the case of an absolute result).

With this in mind, it seems to me that making a Kodak or Fuiji paper a
baseline, then testing and rating papers against that baseline under the
same
conditions would give us more information than a year rating. For instance,
rating a particular ink/paper combination a 0.5 would mean that this
combination lasts half as long as the baseline photographic print under the
same test conditions. This would mean a lot more to me than the current year
rating.

=====
Explore potential income opportunities with Greer and Associates at
http://www.ibocity.com/greeraa. Also, Come visit my digital photography web
site along with a lot of other interesting stuff at
http://www.greer.simplenet.com.

Mike Greer