Re: workflow

Bruce wrote:
>I think that your problem is that you are choosing
>"epson standard" as your printer profile.  This
>works only when using the colorsync option in the
>epson driver.  "epson standard" is not a complete
>printer profile (on my ex at least).  find the
>exact paper profile such as "epson photo ex photo
>paper 1400" in the color sync folder and use that instead.

My experience as well.  Epson standard is a very strange critter.  If you
use it in any "profile to profile" method (PS 4 colorsync filters or PS 5
built in profile to profile) you must *also* select the "Photorealistic"
choice in the Epson driver rather than any choice which bypasses it such as
No Color Correction.  I believe (but I am in no way certain) that Epson
Standard and the driver selection are two pieces of a profile that convert
from an RGB workspace to the Epson inks colorspace.

However, I find the paper specific profiles that come along with Epson
standard not very good at all.  Haven't figured out how to use them in a
workflow.  You'd think you should run the RGB file through some profile to
profile using these then run the file through the driver with "no Color
Correction" but I have not gotten anything particularly elegant that way.
Best results with canned Epson profiles are by "double profiling" with the
two half profiles (Epson Standard and the driver Photorealistic selection).
With specially made profiles the proper way works best (apply the profile
then use no color correction in the driver).

In all cases, I've found that the ColorSync driver selection (on a Mac)
does not work as well as Photoshop in applying profiles.  But it is the
only way to apply profiles for some applications.  But if you are using
Photoshop 5, using the Epson Standard in ColorSync is not as good as using
it in Photoshop's profile to profile then through "photorealistic".  I
*think* perhaps the Epson profile elves have been naughty little ICC
buggers here.

Dan Culbertson

-