RE: Wilhelm's 6 color bombshell!(was Silver Inks f

> Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 07:45:50 -0800
> From: "Gary" <tapo@mind.net>
> Subject: RE: Wilhelm's 6 color bombshell!(was Silver Inks f
>
> Royce (or any other) -
> Can you please clarify below about the Somerset Velvet at >25yrs. Is that
> the result or is this test still continuing, thus 25 and growing for
> predicted "life"?
>
> If that is the test results, all done, then, me thinks there is a lot of
hot
> air blowing around about inkset life's and wishing. I knew this, but did
not
> think it would soo far off, BTA, I think a lot of us are in that "boat".
> This may hurt the Epson generated print market, as Iris and HP have, I
> think, some of the colorspan too, have published results that are "good".
> Hmmmm
> Gary

Gary and others:
This is precisely why I have stayed the course on the Ilford Archiva Inks.
The  thermal version (for use in 300 dpi Encads) has demostrated through
Wilhelm's tests a 70-80 year life on Ilford Photogloss paper. Also reading
between the lines, Colorspan's results are quite good using the Archiva inks
in their 8 color Giclee maker.

These inks run great through the Epson 3000 printer, and seem to be doing
just fine through my 900 after diluting them 1 part Isopropyl (91%) to 5
parts ink. My informal south facing refrigerator fade test (print facing a
large south window, but not receiving direct sunlight) shows no sign of
fading after one year. (this print was done on Sentinels photogloss paper)
An Epson print on their original photogloss paper OEM inks done a year
previous, and in the same place, was badly faded within a month.

Four color printing is where it's at! The 900 prints such small dots, you
don't need the Lc &Lm to smooth out the skin tones and sky colors.

Pigmented inks may be the answer, but remember folks, the Generations inks
have not had the blessing of Henry either!  Pigmented does not necessarily
mean fade free!

Maybe, Generations Lc & Lm and Archiva CMYK is the answer for 6-color
Epsoneers looking for archival photographic color!

John Nollendorfs
JN Photography
Lincoln, NE

-
** Dygraphics November Sale: 15% off on most 8.5 x 11 media, **
** including Concorde Rag, Somerset Velvet, Capri Canvas,    **
** and Liege:  http://www.dygraphics.com or 888-786-8832     **