Re: Longevity with epson OEM inks

Anjali:
When it comes to longevity of a print I am probably more conservative
than most artists. I have several associates who have been trying
desperately to convince me that the Epson OEM inks are not the total
problem. They claim that with the use of archival paper, OEM inks, and a
top coat spray that is designed to be archival you could get just as
long a life from your prints as using all archival products. They have
not totally convinced me of this, yet.

The reason I am starting to lean this way is two years ago I printed an
8x10 print on plain Somerset art paper using my Epson 800 and Epson OEM
inks. I put the print in a frame and hung it on the wall. No spray, no
glass. This print has been under florescent light for 8 hours a day, 5
days a week. I pulled the print out of the frame the other day and there
is no noticeable fading at the edges that are hidden under the frame.
Was I just lucky? I don't know. I surely wish those doing archival
testing would come up with some answers for us.

I am not totally convinced yet, but I sure am getting close. For as much
as I have pushed for the use of archival pigmented inks, if the OEM inks
prove to be archival under certain conditions, I will surely make some
friends very angry.

Jim Davis
www.visual-artists.com
mailto:jarthurdavis@earthlink.net