Re: Wilhel'm 6 color bombshell!(was Silver Inks f

Andy Darlow wrote:
> I guess I'm the first to discuss this important item:
>
> According to the recently released Wilhelm numbers, the 6 color Lyson
inks
> (which would probably encompass Fotonic) are given pitiful ratings on
the
> Epson 5000(similiar to 1200's setup) on two different papers. I didn't

> check if the new data was posted on wilhelm-research.com, but I'd
check
> this out before investing in that inkset.

Several of you have checked Wilhelm's site, only to find that there was
no new data there.  Others are clamoring to find out just how "pitiful"
some of these test results are.....

Henry Wilhelm gave this new info at the NYC Photo+Expo, where you paid
(I think) $65/head to hear it and receive his latest data sheet
handhout.  Andy was kind enough to show some of us who were at the expo
that information, but since it is COPYRIGHTED information, I'll only
share bits and pieces that I think are most important to the readers of
this forum:

Excerpts from Wilhelm's "The Intimate Relationships of Inks and Papers:
You Can't Talk About the Permanence of One Without Considering the
Other":

"...the 6-ink systems provide less image stability -- typically two to
three times less -- than do 4-ink printers using the same basic ink
formulations.

"With a given inkset, the difference in light fading rates between the
longest-lasting paper and the least stable paper can exceed 20 to 1.
That is, the amount of fading that will take place in 20 years with the
best papers can occur in only one year -- or even less -- with the
worst!"

Now for the results -- taken from, "Inks and Media for Desktop Inkjet
Printers: Years of Print Display Before Noticeable Fading Occurs" (For
Members of the International Association of Fine Art Digital Printmakers
Distributed at the March 6, 1999 IAFADP Meeting in New York -- Updated
October 29, 1999, Copyright by Wilhelm Image Research, Inc.
--------
Under the section, "Desktop Inkjet Printers (newer products)"
EPSON STYLUS 3000 PRINTER (4-ink Lysonic E Inks)
Luminos Lumijet Premium DW Glossy (discon.)   >120 years
Luminos Lumijet Premium Tapestry X (tentative)   >120 years
Arches Cold Press Paper   50-55 years
Somerset Velvet Paper   >25 years
UltraStable Canvas (glossy)   >15 years
Lysonic Standard Fine Art Paper   4-6 years
Epson Photo Paper (1998 "Improved type)   4-5 years

End of quote - [Royce's comments: Can you believe that Lyson's own
"matched" fine art paper (silimar to Luminos' "Classic Velour") not
testing much better than the Epson Photo Paper!!!  And a discontinued
standard "photo grade" DW glossy inkjet paper lasting greater than 120
years (instead of one of their premium "Preservation Series" papers)!!
This is an example of what Henry meant by "With a given inkset, the
difference in light fading rates between the longest-lasting paper and
the least stable paper can exceed 20 to 1."  BTW, those two
great-testing Luminos papers are still avaiable at:
http://www.tssphoto.com/sp/dg/luminos/lumijet_photoGM.html
...while supplies last -- maybe Luminos will reconsider keeping the
"Lumijet Premium Glossy", now that it has scored so well!]

Continue quoting, under the section, "Desktop Inkjet Printers (newer
products)":
EPSON STYLUS PRO 5000 PRINTER (6-ink Lysonic E Inks)
Lysonic Standard Fine Art Paper   <1.0 year
Epson Photo Paper (1998 "Improved" type)   2.0 years

EPSON STYLUS 3000 PRINTER (Lyson 4-ink Fotonic Inks)
Arches Cold Press Paper   (tests in progress)
Somerset Velvet Paper   (tests in progress)
Lysonic Standard Fine Art Paper   2-3 years
Epson Photo Paper (1998 "Improved" type)   2-3 years

End of quote from Wilhelm charts.

Just as Wilhelm had said, "...the 6-ink systems provide less image
stability -- typically two to three times less -- than do 4-ink printers
using the same basic ink formulations."  But what was more startling was
the differences papers can make on the same inkset.  It will be
interesting to see how well the non-coated papers like Arches and
Somerset hold up using the Fotonic 4-inks and 6-inks.

Many of us had concluded before this data that "paper" had less of a
determining factor on whether an inkjet image would last (not fade) than
the INKSET.  Now we can see that the paper and its coating can be a much
greater factor!  The race to find which inksets and papers are truly
"archivally" matched is on!

This may also give more credance to the theory that pigmented inks (like
MIS Archival and G2) may have greater permance due to the belief that
they are less apt to chemically react with various paper coating,
causing color shifts (a form of 'noticeable" fading).

Royce Bair
royce@tssphoto.com
http://www.inkjetart.com/
Inkjet Art Solutions

-
** Dygraphics November Sale: 15% off on most 8.5 x 11 media, **
** including Concorde Rag, Somerset Velvet, Capri Canvas,    **
** and Liege:  http://www.dygraphics.com or 888-786-8832     **