Colour Problems -HELP!??!

I am new to the list.

I have an ongoing problem with Epson 700. I claim nil expertise with
colour management. What I was able to download on Colorsync left me no
wiser. After several days trying everything I could in the way of
Colorsync settings, printer dialogue options etc I phoned Epson and Adobe.

Epson Helpdesk took me through various things then decided the Epson
might be faulty. The 700 has been to them 3 times (!) for tests and now
they say my problem is software related -the printer is fine. (!!) The
local manager can't help me, apparently. Adobe instructed me to remove
Photoshop from the Mac. That showed that the distinctly green cast is
present no matter which application I print from.

I have been outputting a grey wedge with known percentages of grey. With
all extensions disabled (except the Epson extension necessary for
printing) the output always looks green.

My hope is to be able to get images from my Nikon LS2000 scanner into the
Mac and out to the Epson without introducing colour casts. Ballpark
accuracy would satisfy me. So far I have drunk lots of coffee but
achieved little else. Help!

My setup:

Epson 700
Mac (Umax 604e) using OS8.1