Re: VERY Interesting Film Scanner Rumor

<x-flowed>>
>Will you, Richard, please explain why such a scanner could not work on
>unexposed film? I think that the main reason might be the need to slice the
>film into thin layers before scanning them -- is that your thinking, too?
>Also, I think that the film would need to be at very low temperature, but
>that is OK -- let's remember, the original post was about a research
>project!

I don't disagree that a probe can scan and even detect atoms. The
analytical methods available to researchers are extremely broad in
today's world.

There are a lot of reasons why this is bogus.

I have a real problem in any probe detecting just the "proper" atoms,
then interpreting these (unprocessed atoms) as very particular
molecules possessing a latent image as they would be resolved
undergoing a future chemical transformation, and then both
understanding and then interpreting three dimensional imaging. And,
doing this properly - meaning with all the dynamics of a picture as
we now know it. Including grain size manifestations. There is a BIG
difference between the ability to scan for molecules, or sub,, and
then interpreting (start thinking about software logic) something
that has not taken place yet; a process that has not yet been
activated (chemical process emulation?). And to do this with some non
destructive (probing) radiation. Yes, layers are a real impediment
since the latent image is striated, or layered on the Y axis.

Crank into that technical problem the ability to do this properly
regardless of film type, exposure condition, etc. I have a film (a
movie film), for example that has a layer which must be removed
before it can go through a very different chemical process than, say
C41 films go through. Count the number of film processing variations,
each directed towards realizing an intended result; push processing,
or, say different chemical imaging methodologies, of which C41 is one
example.

Going down the list:

A research project?

Why would anyone want this? You need to answer this. My guess is then
people might have the "best" of both worlds; e.g. almost infinite
pixel density which can be translated in to 10 MB file! ?? Has there
been some secret survey amongst amateur or professional
photographers, or users of same that are clammering for this? And, if
it is not market driven, why is some company spending money on doing
research in an area where there probably is not a payoff? At least in
this application? The potential application(s) needs to be
identified. The days of undirected, unbridled research - that every
PhD doctorate loves to fantasize about - are over. Sure there are
"accidental" discoveries today. Some even patented. Most - at least
today - are left on the shelf, never pursued because the reality of
today's business world is to increase stockholder value in directions
that Company management agrees are core. Not marginal - "Oh, that is
interesting" type of digressions. Even with government contracts.

I become occasionally exasperated by some who truly believe that
"anything" can be done - if we only try or spend money on it. After
all, they say we got to the moon. If not immediately, they say, then
tomorrow. If really pushed, they equivocate and say eventually. Go
into the real scientific world and discover that there really are
many dead ends. All of this is off - topic, Sorry.

Dick
Dick Moyer

</x-flowed>