Re: Beginner to Quadtone Printing Questions

> 1. Can it be done? REALLY deep blacks? The paper I'm using right now is CAPABLE of
> Producing really deep blacks, but not with archival inks.  (Media Street, Dual Sided
> Matte Paper)

Hmm, I don't have any non archival inks to compare it to, but I can put
more black down than I can use.

> 2. How do I even start? Have a Jon Cone Profile Made? Which inksets would you heartily
> recommend that are available in bulk? I'm going to make a LOT of prints!

There is no quadtone profile to date, and some pretty smart people have
been trying. You should ask Dan Culbertson to send you his action, and
be prepared to learn and experiment. MIS makes the most widely used quad
ink, it's available bottled. Lysonic makes quad ink no one seems to have
tried, including Inkjet Mall who sells it. Only available in 3000 cartridges.

> 3. I take it it isn't just a simple matter of installing the cartridges and printing
> with them. How do you set up everything so that you can consistently get good prints?

Dan's action will help tremendously. In addition, to quote dan-
> Speaking of the manual process, given a slew of changes lately (a new RIP,
> MIS reformulating the quads to a neutral tint, new quad inks coming out
> daily) I've been trying to come up with a more general quadtone method.
> But with so many variables now it is getting rather impossible to do a
> cookbook method.  While this is somewhat tongue-in-cheek, I propose the
> following method for those seeking a full understanding of multitone
> printing and how to get the most from these inks:
> A.  Buy an X-Rite photospectrometer or other measuring device to measure
> your printed ink colors so you can see what you are getting directly on
> your monitor (and something to characterize and calibrate your monitor of
> course).
> B.  Buy Adobe PressReady to be able to actually print your "CMYK" quad
> files as they were really meant to be printed.
> C.  Buy Real World Photoshop 5 and read chapter ten to figure out how to
> partition the channels in CMYK.
> D.  All the rest is just trial and error and the expertise that comes from it.
 In other words, it takes some work.

> I'm assuming that color shifts are impossible with quadtone inks?

no color to shift

> 4. Are there any instructions in the archives on how to begin this procedure?

gobs, if you can find a useable archive

> 5. and MOST IMPORTANT! Do the quad tone inks shift colors when viewed under different
> light sources?

no more than any B&W print. You should investigate the Lysonic Low Gamut
inks as well, they MIGHT be easier to get a grip on.......
Tyler
-