Refilling Epson 1200 ink Cartridges

I just started refilling Epson 1200 carts.  This is my first attempt and I
ran into a problem.  I hope someone can help.

I am using the Ultra-Fill Vacuum method.  I first filled two black carts
with no problem.  BTW, these are brand new empty carts.

In filling the color cart however, I ran into problems. The first color went
fine.  On the second color the needle wouldn't go all the way in but the ink
flowed OK so I went to the third color.  When I put the needle in, very
little ink went in even though the large "vacuum" syringe indicated about
12cc's would be needed.  I did another pump or two,and there was definitely
a vacuum with no leaks.  I inserted the needle again and a little more ink
flowed but not much.  Anyway I went to the fourth color.  Did the Vacuum
check, as I did with all colors, then did two pulls on the syringe and
clipped off the hose.  When I put the ink syringe in, it took absolutely no
ink.  The needle was all the way in.

Does anyone know what  I did wrong?  The black carts went fine.  I did the
same procedure on the color cart with the above result.  Do I possibly have
a bad cart?  The only way I could get more vacuum is to use a power driven
pump.

Any help or insights are appreciated.

Bob

-