Re: Beginner to Quadtone Printing Questions

Hi all,

Well, after the nightmare of my life trying to get decent black and white prints for
my exhibit, and not succeeding very well, ( It seems as if every print has a different
color cast), I am willing to dedicate my 3000 printer to printing black and white
prints. These prints are the Ansel Adams Landscape style of prints in that they MUST
have a deep black that is at least equal to an oriental Seagull darkroom print that
has been selenium toned. Anything less is just not acceptable.  I have not paid much
attention to the quadtone inks discussions, as until I saw how impossible it was to
get decent B&W prints from color inks, I wasn't too interested. Now that I've learned
a valuable lesson, (It CANNOT be done consistently!), I will use my 3000 printer for
black and white printing only, IF I can get Darkroom quality prints from the Epson.
The very small amount of graininess that the Epson 3000 gives is acceptable.

Questions:

1. Can it be done? REALLY deep blacks? The paper I'm using right now is CAPABLE of
Producing really deep blacks, but not with archival inks.  (Media Street, Dual Sided
Matte Paper)
2. How do I even start? Have a Jon Cone Profile Made? Which inksets would you heartily
recommend that are available in bulk? I'm going to make a LOT of prints!
3. I take it it isn't just a simple matter of installing the cartridges and printing
with them. How do you set up everything so that you can consistently get good prints?
I'm assuming that color shifts are impossible with quadtone inks?
4. Are there any instructions in the archives on how to begin this procedure?
5. and MOST IMPORTANT! Do the quad tone inks shift colors when viewed under different
light sources? If they do, this process is NOT for me. One local gallery won't exhibit
my black and white prints precisely because they look very reddish under tungsten
light. If quadtone inks do this, then I give up. There must be a lot of you that are
using quadtone inks and selling your prints. Do you have any of these problems?
6. Please reply to me off line, as I'm sure this will be boring to those of you who
already have mastered this process!

Thanks for any help or advice!

Jerry

-