A work flow that works for me.

Hello,

I am new to this Mail List although I have been using a Photo EX for a
little over a year to produce the highest possible quality output from
35mm slides scanned with a Nikon LS 2000. (I use a Mac G3 with a
ColorSync Screen)

As I have had very little contact with others  I  have had to develop my
own work flow with regard to calibration, profiling and colour
correction. It is obvious that this is a big issue, maybe THE big issue
so I thought to share my method and hopefully get some feedback..tips
etc.

After scanning I correct the image  in Photoshop 5.0 with   Apple RGB as
the color space and monitor comp on. In profile set up I have all the
Embed Profiles boxes checked.

When I am ready to print I use the Color Match/ Colour Sync filter with
the Screen profile as the source the   Epson Standard as the output.
(matching style  set as perceputal). Invariable I see an increase in
contrast and sometimes a color shift especially in the blues. Although I
now make corrections at this stage the results are not what could be
called reliable. In reality I could just as easily make a standard
adjustment in curves to reduce contrast and forget the ColorSync profile
but occasionaly it seems  to highlight a problem so, for now at  least I
include this step. I have found the other  Epson paper-specific profiles
to be totally useless and never use them.

Coming now to the printing operation. In the PhEx print options I select
for the paper type and set ColorSync on with Epson Standard as the
Profile.

Around 2/3rd of the time the final result is at least acceptable. If I
want to make further corrections I go back to Photoshop and using
selective color try to create on the screen an image as near to the
printer output as possible. I then reverse everything (eg if I have
added 10% yellow in the blue channel  I reverse this to  minus 10% and
so on) and save the result . Next step is to cancel out of selective
color so that the original file remains unchanged. To print I now open
the file load the selective color and print. So far this method has been
a great success for me and I wonder if anyone else uses it or anything
similar.

Scott Johnson.

-