Re: Stylus 600 Printhead

John Mortlock wrote:

> Are Stylus 600 Printheads prone to early failure ?
>
> Two colleagues have had Stylus 600's and both needed to replace printheads.
>
> Now my 600 has stopped printing.  The head is not blocked.  The pump draws
> all inks down on to the sponge but it wont print.
>
> Does anyone know why these printheads fail ?
> what exactly happens to them and can they be repaired ?

Your diagnostic tests are well done!

My interpretation of these tests are that the electronics which control
the firing of each individual nozzle are all fried! They can be repaired
by Epson, or a very clever electronics guru.

Does the ribbon cable enter underneath the print head? This is the case
with the ESC500, which sometimes shorts out because some of its
electronics are underneath the ink outlet. Ink leaks can then short out
these circuits. If this is the case for the 600, then premature failure
is likely. Newer models place the electronics above the ink outlet. I'm
refering here to the small circuit board that is part of the print head
assmebly itself.

> Printheads are expensive to buy, The Epson UK site has an Excel parts
> price list which along with the normal printhead F059000-C also shows a
> Refurbished 600 Printhead part no: F059000-S at a much cheaper price but the
> local parts centre says these are not available.  Has anyone managed to
> obtain these refurbished 600 printheads ?

In the USA, the ESC600 warranty is one year, and if the UK is similar, I
assume that your warranty is expired. Economics may dictate that
upgrading to an ESC740 is the better course. I have the 740 and love it.
I think that you can use up your 600 color cartridges (assuming you have
a surplus), but the 740 takes larger black cartridges.

> Does anyone what signals are on the ribbon cable connecting the main logic
> board to the printhead ? I'd like to determine if the fault is with the main
> logic PCB or the Printhead ?  I have a Tek 475 scope and other test
> equipment.  If someone can let me know what signals to look for I'd
> appreciate it.

This is over my head. Eddie may know.

-- Ben Haskell
-