Re: GOODS ACROSS BORDER - Suppliers please note!

You have to let UPS know that you want to clear your own shipments (Customer
Clears Own). If you have the shipper put the name of your business on the
shipment then UPS has to call you to see if you want them to act as your
broker.
They assume that if it is only a personal name that they can get away with
being your broker and charging you. You can have a personal shipment and
be your own broker. If you are using the tracking number to follow the
shipment, you call UPS when it gets to the border and inform them that
you want to be your own customs broker. You will need to know the tarriff
classification codes of the items that you are
bringing over the border.  Canada Customs has now computerized this info,
so that when you go to fill out the paperwork and the customs B3 form it is
pretty
easy to find this info on the computer. You also have to have a Business
number if you do this
fairly often, if not then Canada Customs has a general number that you can
use
if you won't be doing it that often. If you have a business, then you should
already
 have the number you need.
You then  pay any taxes or duty and take the paperwork back
to the UPS holding depot and pick it up. Of course, this is easy for me as I
am in Vancouver and
Customs and UPS are just down the block from each other. ;-)

Regards,
Murray Zaharia
Anything in Latin sounds profound.