Re: 4 colour Vs 6 colour

John,

You post sounds accurate to me, but it may sound misleading to some. When peope
write about this subject, those who are not in the know can think that there is
something "special" or chemically different about the inks used in 4 ink
printers vs. ink used in 6 ink or "photo" printers. In truth, the ink
compositions are pretty much the same.

The issue with present day ink longevity mainly involves the magenta hue. When
you print your images, they are color balanced by the print driver. When the
print first emerges, it looks gorgeous. But all of the inks don't fade at the
same rate. Therefore, color "shifting" occurs. The main culprit is the magenta
hue. In 6 ink printers, the light magenta starts going faster than "regular
strength" magenta. The result is a yellowing/greening of the print, It will
take a 4 ink printer (using Epson OEM inks) longer to fade/shift because the
"regular strength" magenta will hold out longer than the light magenta used in
6 ink printers.

So it's not the printer that causes issues, it's the hue. If all inks faded at
the same right, then the overall global effect would be less noticeable because
no shifting would be occuring.

--- John Heaton <jtheaton@babe.net.au> wrote:
> G'Day All
>
> Some weeks ago I tried to give you the results of a term check on work from
> the EX and the 3000 relative to longevity, and mine is a very simple test.
>
> They just hang on the wall of my studio and are not behind glass in this
> instance.
>
> The reason I am repeating myself is the current discussions on all sorts of
> inks and paper for the 1200 ( 6 colour), and to be honest I am getting a
> little concerned about some of the comments coming in about the finish etc.
> In particular, those of you who are selling prints from the 1200,
> especially those who use Epson OEM inks and may also apply with untried
> so-called longevity inks.
>
> I don't own a 1200 because, but I have had an EX since they first arrived
> in Australia some 20 months ago.
>
> At the same time I also bought a 3000. (4 colour).
>
> On day 1 - I printed identical files on the EX and the 3000. They were a
> Panorama of a sunset.
>
> As I type this mail they are sitting on the wall in exactly the same
> position as I put them 20 months ago and have only been subjected to
> general lighting I.E daylight plus fluro, and more fluro in the evenings.
> No direct sunlight at all.
>
> The 3000 doesnt appear to have changed at all BUT the EX print is Yellow
> almost all over,
>
> (Sort of the missing Yolk from DanC's egg whites?).
>
> So folks - is the 6 colour, you are all sallivating about in your 6 month
> old 1200's going to be around in another 14 months ?????
>
> time will tell!
>
> So Rafe - will you still be telling all that ask, that the 1200 is a better
> printer than the the 3000.
>
> Theoretically maybe, -  with super dots and 6 cols.
> In practice - I have'nt sold 1 print from my EX in 4 months without
> insisting that the buyer understands it must be behind glass at the
> earliest and i will not replace it beyond 12 months.
>
> I aint sold too many!!! but my 3000 4 colours are going well and cheap ink
> as far as OEM goes.
>
> Thoughts Everyone????
>
> Will 6 colour outlast 4 colour and what will happen to the 9000/Roland etc.
> on the 6 colours.
>
> John Heaton
>

> -

=====
Explore potential income opportunities with Greer and Associates at http://www.ibocity.com/greeraa. Also, Come visit my digital photography web site along with a lot of other interesting stuff at http://www.greer.simplenet.com.

Mike Greer