re: monitor temperatures

A likely generic solution to the yechh throwup colors of 5000K monitor
calibration.

Having experienced this myself and refusing to believe something was not
amis I discovered the following.  Monitor calibration utilities begin their
operations from some specific "state" of monitor control settings, i.e.
hardware button brightness/contrast/color temp control, LUT card parameters.
If these controls and parameters control your monitor, e.g. having been
previously set to approximate 6500 during a previous calibration, and then
one runs the monitor calibrator, the calibrator assumes that the previous
settings constituted the native, uncalibrated state of the display/LUT.  The
new calibration therefore further reduces white point, etc. and you get the
mess you see.

My monitor is currently calibrated successfully to 5000K and it looks fine:
not as glaringly bright or contrasty as 6500 or 9500, but also not fubar
dark yellow/red.  It matches, as advertised, my cheap and serviceable 5000K
flourescent print-viewing bulb.

I've been doing my monitor calibrations using ColorShop, but the above
advice should apply to any calibrator. Setting the display/LUT to its
uncalibrated, native state can be tricky with some calibrators. You may need
to experiment with this because documentation is hard to find.  On MacOS I
think you can usually achieve this by choosing the GenericRGB in the
Monitors & Sound Control Panel. prior to beginning calibration.

Mike Rich
-
* Free Ground Shipping to 10/31 for Leben members! (Select Leben for    *
* shipping). Now available The Hahnemuhle Collection of Fine Art Papers *
* Digital Art Supplies at http://www.digitalartsupplies.com             *