Minolta Dimage Multi Filmscanner problem OT

I know that this is off topic here, so I apologize. I posted to the scanner
list with no response. So I will try here as I know there are many
knowledgeable people and a few with the Multi scanner.

I recently purchased a Multi filmscanner on ebay and am having a problem
getting a scan. When the scanner was shipped, the person I bought it from
neglected to tighten the screw underneath to hold the optics when the unit
is shipped. I think this must be the problem, but am open to any other
ideas. For the record, the seller has said that the scanner worked perfectly
when he shipped it, but is willing to take it back.
Everything seems to work fine, as the scanner will seem to scan in the stand
alone application or Photoshop import option. The problem is is that there
is usually only a white screen where the image should be, or a pinkish hue
(in neg. mode). In slide mode the screen image is black or a dark hue. This
happens in all modes and I get the same results with even no film in the
holder. I have tried all the different holders and have reinstalled the
latest software several times. Is there anything I might be overlooking,
besides damage that may have happened while shipping?  My next question is:
If it was due to the optics not being locked down while shipping, can this
be something minor in nature or can I be looking at an expensive repair
bill?
The only other thing I can think of is it possible for this kind of thing to
happen because of an incompatible scsi card? I am using the scanner on my
laptop with an Adaptec 1480 slimscsi cardbus card. This is not one of the
cards Minolta has recommended with this scanner. But, everything seems to
work fine with it besides the results that I am getting. I use the card with
4 other devices with no problem. When I use the Multi it is the only SCSI
device hooked up and it is terminated. Any ideas or thoughts  would be
appreciated. (Besides not buying off of Ebay! )        ;^)

Regards,
Murray Zaharia
Anything in Latin sounds profound.

-