Re: Epson's petard

I use 10 mil laminate over Epson PhotoQuality InkJet Paper and DataProducts ink - a lot of it. Now I know my experience is a little different than most uses. I clip these along the top of my booth at art and wine festivals. I also have a few examples facing out of the booth.

Now in certain circumstances this is full direct sun for several hours.

I've noticed discernable fading in just a couple of shows (three four days)

This is only marginally better than the rate of fade as I am getting with DataProducts ink on invent it! note card stock. I replace these that get sun after a couple of shows - although by the end of the day on Sunday of the second show, the note cards are very very bad while the laminates (placemats) are just bad.

Would it be worth it to me to laminate just for preservation, given this experience no, not if I could reprint when I wanted.

Do I care for these low priced consumables - yes & no. Yes, because it drives up my marketing expense (I trash quite a few cards and place mats). No because I get no customer resistance from fading on these low priced items. In fact something like a quarter of my note card set sales (8 cards $15 - 4 images 2 each), people are telling me that they are buying them to frame, often being attracted by a somewhat faded card. (see anything on my website if you are interested other than the models http://www.oliverart.com for the types of things they are buying - I have had some request for the models images as note cards - presumptively for framing)

oliver

At 09:32 PM 8/26/99 EDT, you wrote:
>Wow! The "final word" on image stability from the horse's mouth
>(Epson him/herself) via MacinTouch:
>

>". . . our cartridges use a water based ink, are not intended for archival
>purposes and they will show fading over time with exposure to oxygen and
>light. There are a number of steps you can take to try and preserve the
>image. The images (photos) can be cold laminated to preserve the image. . . .
>
>The fading process is caused by a combination of the paper and the ink. The
>average fade time is about four months. There are a few possible actions that
>can slow the aging process:
>
>* Use Acid free boards and plastic storage sleeves (reduce the exposure to
>air)
>* Laminate the paper (prevents exposure to air)
>* Avoid direct sun exposure.
>* Low humidity levels and direct sunlight will tend to dry the ink out
>faster than higher humidity levels with little or no sunlight. Any heat
>sources will of course dry out water.
>* You can use cold laminate pages or use various acrylic sprays to seal the
>ink away from the elements.
>
>And the real kicker:
>
>*There are no current plans to produce any archival inks for our printers.*
>
>So that should end the discussion about whether they do or do not fade and
>when might
>Epson make a better ink. (In other words, dream on!)
>
>A.
>-
>Please do not include an entire message in your response. Delete the excess.
>http://www.leben.com/lists for list instructions.

Dive the Web

Surf the World

http://www.oliverart.com - New images as of 7/14

1999 Art and Wine Festival schedule is at http://www.oliverart.com/shows.htm Hope to see you there! - Please do not include an entire message in your response. Delete the excess. http://www.leben.com/lists for list instructions.