Re: Best Hardware for printing

At 11:51 PM 8/26/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Hello all.  I am new to the list and am currently setting up my "digital
>darkroom".  My question may be a little off topic but I was wondering if
>I should spend more money on a 32 meg graphics card or on lots of RAM to
>make my epson purr.  I guess I'm wondering if a graphics card is
>important using PS.  Appreciate any feedback.
>Joe
>
>-
>Please do not include an entire message in your response. Delete the excess.
>http://www.leben.com/lists for list instructions.

A good graphics card will speed things
up in Photoshop (or any other image editor.)
But make sure that it's optimized for 2-D
work, as opposed to 3-D and "gaming."

You'll need the video RAM if you're running
at high resolution and/or bit-depth (eg,
1600 x 1200 at 24 bits per pixel.)

General CPU RAM will speed up everything,
and is way cheap these days.  The amount
you need depends mostly on the file sizes
of the images that you normally work with,
and other issues like -- whether or not
you work with multiple layers and channels.

I just can't see anybody trying to get by
with less than 128 Mbytes these days, if
they're doing any kind of serious graphics
work.  128 Mbytes ought to set you back $100
or less these days, if I'm not mistaken.

rafe b.