Re: Best Hardware for printing

I was informed by a techie friend of mine that the graphics ram will not be
utilised by photoshop in the way system ram is used. The reverse is usually the
case, ie the game program uses 'system ram' after running out of graphics ram
(like in the case of my puny 4mb Riva 128). The ram on the graphics card will
only be used by a program which accesses it directly...say games, and this is
usually done through the intermediary of the device driver (eg opengl, direct
x). (techies jump in anytime!). So unless Photoshop 6 (?) is written to access
graphics ram, all that fast ram will not be used for photoshop processing. It
will only be used for on-screen display purposes..ie the traditional usage of
the graphics ram.

However, Direct X 7.0 is said to be able to break the barrier between graphics
ram and system ram though I can't confirm this. Any body know the answer to
this?

in short, get the extra system RAM over the graphics card if photoshop is your
concern.

kokleong
http://come.to/digitaldarkroom

-