Re: Why don't Epson produce their own archival inks? (Was RE: New - " Somerset Photo Enhanced" is now arriving)

--- Daniel Salzedo <Daniel@rimasystem.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Jerry raises a point that perplexes many of us - Why don't Epson just
> produce their own archival ink range?

Jerry and Daniel,

Since we are all just giving our opinions, let me give mine. I think you guys
are are mislead on this issue because you spend your time in forums like this
one. It is my opinion, that forums like this do not represent the typical users
out there. We see the energy going into the development of archival inks/papers
by 3rd party suppliers like Lyson and MIS. But seriously, compared to Epson,
these are small time players. Just how much money do you really think they are
losing by not as of yet offering an archival solution? I don't know what the
figures are, but I'd bet the market share that these 3rd party suppliers of ink
and paper have taken from Epson is teeny tiny. The average Epson user out there
is not interested in trying 3rd party solutions. The average user is not trying
to sell their prints. The average user is thrilled with the image quality. For
the average user, the printers serve their purposes. We on this list, me
included, want more of course.

Put yourself in the shoes of the Epson executive. Solving this archival issue
is non-trivial. All inkjet manufacturers, not just Epson, fact the same issue.
Even with Fotonic inks, Silver inks, archival paper, etc., we are all still
really unsure about what the real life results will be. I'm talking about real
life results, not controlled Wilhelm tests/studies. So as the executive, you
know all of this. You know that to make progress in this arena, you'll need to
invest heavily in R&D and testing. You aren't Lyson or MIS with a small easily
servicable customer base. Your customer base is huge and world wide. You also
know that your success in this issue may only excite a very small percentage of
your user base. Knowing all of these things, how excited are you going to be in
commiting your corporate resources to tackle this issue? In addition, none of
us really knows what they are doing behind the scenes. For all we know, they
are working very hard at developing a solution but must be more more
conservative than companies like Lyson and MIS.

It's easy to sit back and wonder how come Epson isn't doing this or that when
other compaines seem to be making progress. But larger corporations have much
different concerns than small companies. Take HP. They have decided, at least
for the time being, to basically leave the ultimate photo printing (as far as
image quality is concerned) to Epson. Why? They certainly have the resources to
compete with Epson products in photo quality. But they've made a decision that
the larger general purpose inbkjet market is more important to them. That's why
we haven't seen a Photosmart II printer. The point is that business concerns
must take priority. You have to be a responsible business person if you're
going to stay in business. Some times, that means that you can't do everything
you want to do in the time you want to do it because the returns don't justify
comitment.

I don't know how accurate I am in my assessment. All I do know is that
customers who don't have the responsibility to be profitable, some times don't
understand al of the issues a manufacturer has to be concerned with. They just
see what they think is a simple issue and wonder why the manufacturer doesn't
address it. I do know that manufacturers are concerned with issues that most
people would never see in a million years unless they worked in that
environment.

===
Explore potential income opportunities with Greer and Associates at http://www.ibocity.com/greeraa. Also, Come visit my digital photography web site along with a lot of other interesting stuff at http://www.greer.simplenet.com.

Mike Greer